In August 2021, the SFC issued consultation conclusions on proposals to introduce an investor identification regime (HKIDR) at trading level for the securities market in Hong Kong and an over-the-counter securities transaction reporting regime (OTCR) for shares listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (SEHK).
Under the HKIDR, relevant licensed corporations and registered institutions* will have to assign a Broker-Client Assigned Number (BCAN) to each of their clients and tag the BCAN to their clients’ securities orders. They will also have to submit to SEHK’s data repository the identification data (ie, names and identity document information) of clients placing securities orders on SEHK or who conduct off-exchange trades reportable to SEHK.
Separately, information about OTC securities transactions in ordinary shares and real estate investment trusts listed on SEHK as well as deposits and withdrawals of physical share certificates will be reported to the SFC under the OTCR.
The HKIDR is expected to be launched in the second half of 2022 and the OTCR in the first half of 2023, subject to the market’s completion of system testing and rehearsals.
This page provides information to help the industry prepare for the implementation of the two regimes.
- Consultation paper
- Consultation conclusions paper, including revisions to the Code of Conduct for Persons Licensed by or Registered with the Securities and Futures Commission
- Information paper, technical guidance and related materials for submitting information to SEHK under the HKIDR (issued by Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited)
- Brief introduction to the HKIDR for investors (leaflet)
- Circular to intermediaries – roadmap for implementing the HKIDR and the OTCR
- Circular to intermediaries on obtaining client consent under the HKIDR and the OTCR
- The SFC will publish frequently asked questions about the HKIDR and OTCR. Please address questions about the HKIDR to HKIDR_faq@sfc.hk and questions about the OTCR to OTCR_faq@sfc.hk.
- For questions about the technical guidance for systems and related materials for submitting information to SEHK under the HKIDR, please write to HKIDR@hkex.com.hk.
*Please refer to the consultation conclusions paper for an explanation of what constitutes “relevant licensed corporations and registered institutions” under the HKIDR and OTCR.
Last update: 13 Sep 2021